Astronomy, a Holy Calling

Does God exist? Some might say, "yes, because the bible tells me so." That's fine, but I'd go on to say, "yes, because my telescope tells me so."

One of the unique things about the Bible is that it encourages us to do science... Specifically Astronomy (among others). Whoa wait what? You thought that science and the Bible disagreed. That's what many agenda oriented dabblers would want you to think. The Bible encourages the pursuit of science. Here is a quote from Isaiah. 

"To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal?" asks the Holy One. "Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing."

This is clear call to do astronomy. It's kind of a strange thought, that all of the astronomers out there are doing what the bible tells them to do. "look up into the heavens."

The next question it asks, is the question that science has been trying to answer since its four hundred year old inception. "who created all the stars?" Although it's not stated outright one of the big pursuits of cosmology is focuses on the universe's Origin. That's just a fancy way of saying, "who created all the stars." Isaiah's question is still being puzzled over. He was confident, as am I, that it should be plainly obvious that there is a master-designer for this extremely intricate place. 

The thing I gather from this verse, is that astronomy can lead us to the truth. If God's existence is the truth, then astronomy should eventually lead us there. (as it has, in my opinion) 

Where modern evangelicalism seems to discourage the sciences, the bible invites us to engage. This verse instructs us to "look up into the heavens." I am following those instructions with the biggest telescope I could get my hands on.