Tweeking the Telescope.


You may notice in the picture a plastic segmented case sitting on the telescope platform. I finally got all my eyepieces and most used gear organized into a little case. It's so much more convenient, especially in the dark. It holds almost everything... Not quite. There's always a few pieces floating around that have no home, so I guess I need to find a place for those.

I spent a couple of hours today "fiddling." That's what I tell my wife when I'm going out to work with the telescope. "I'm going to fiddle." I say that becuase only a small portion of my time goes to actually looking through the telescope. Most of it is still set up. This is partially because I'm still getting everything set up. I've learned something though.

I'm realizing that astronomy is as much a tinkering hobby as anything else. I had to make a tool in the shop today to do what I needed. I wanted to take out a ring in the T-adapter (camera mount tube). I didn't have a screwdriver small enough. So I cranked up the grinder and flattened out the end of an Allen wrench to fit the slot. It was an easy fix, but it made me think of all the explorers and ancient astronomers who have gone before. I imagine what it must have been like to have to build every piece from scratch. 

The telescope I have (Meade LX200 12") had a focal reducer on it (Celestron f6.3), which meant that the image was "zoomed" out. It made it where the images were farther away. I had tried a couple of times to remove it, but it wouldn't budge. I pulled out all the stops, and put the piece in the vice in the shop. I then used a screw driver to twist the nose piece off. Finally got it, with a shout of joy. Now the telescope has a much tighter view. 

The reason why I wanted to take the focal reducer off, was because I got a package in the mail today. I got a planetary imager from orion. It's a camera specifically designed for planetary, and moon imaging. The idea is that it can take hundreds of photos in a quick burst. The software then analyzes the images and stacks them. This makes it possible to get more detail than with a single image. It reduces the effects of the huge column of air wavy air that the atmosphere provides. I tested it out today with it's accompanying software. It was during the day so all I could do was point it at a telephone pole about a quarter mile away. 


Here is an image that I compiled from 100 shots. Note: I didn't calculate any dark frames on this one so it has pretty heavy noise lines. I'm really eager to get some shots of Jupiter, Saturn and the moon. Maybe even Mars. I know the image isn't much to look at, but it represents about two days of preparations. The telescope is finally ready to get some decent shots of the our solar system.

I'm really excited to get out there, Once the rain stops, and share God's amazing creation work through images. Soon hopefully.