Orion Nebula

I went out tonight to get a view of 2004 BL86. It is an asteroid that is passing by Earth. I got the telescope aligned and ready. I charted the path of the asteroid, and waited for dark.

I had done some adjustments to the telescope. One of which was removing one of the finder scopes and placing it on a tripod. I didn't have any particular reason for this, but it came in handy.

My dad showed up after dark to come have some fun. He manned the 80mm Orion scope I had placed on the tripod, and I operated the big boy.

We peered into the vast reaches of space for a few hours, but couldn't find the asteroid. It was fun having company though (thanks Dad). I watched stellarium, which was tracking the asteroid for us, but we just couldn't find it in the sky. It was to faint to see with the naked eye, the planets just didn't align... so to speak. Dad had to head home eventually.

I continued to look for a while longer, but had no luck. I decided to scroll through the available options on the scopes database. I came across the Orion Nebula, and thought it deserved a look.

The telescope slewed over and I could immediately see a nebular mass. I decided to take the back end off the scope and strap up the Canon 5D Mark 3 for a photo op. After a little calibration, I pulled the trigger on four 15 to 30 second exposures. After I cleaned up I came in and popped them into photoshop. (Click the image above to see a little more detail.)

I will say, there have been nicer images taken of the Orion Nebula. Now for the litany of excuses. I shot this from my backyard in city limits. There are street lights all around blasting the humid air with a disgusting orange glow. All things considered though, I'm pleased with this one. This is especially considering that this is my FIRST EVER nebula photo. I don't know anything about this nebula, so I think tomorrow I'll go read up on it.

This was a nice victory after a long evening that was turning into a defeat. I imagine that this colorful cloud of dust and gas is one of God's left over paint pallets from the creation of the cosmos. Space is so alive with color and beauty. This is a reminder that God not only has done great and mighty things, but he is personal enough to make them beautiful.

Well, it's 3:15am... on a monday. I need to go to bed. Thanks!